Fortune Bay Mussel Chowder
- serves 8
Source: Newfoundland and Labrador Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture
fresh cultured blue mussels (4-5 pounds)
1 Tbsp butter
¾ cup onion, diced
2 cup potato, diced
2 Tbsp flour
4 cup milk
2 cup light cream
4 strips bacon, fried crisp
1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
1. Rinse the fresh blue mussels in tap water. Place in a large saucepan with a small amount of water on high heat. Cover and let steam until shells open (5 – 7 minutes). Remove fresh blue mussel meat from shells, strain and reserve broth.
2. Add enough hot water to broth to make 4 cups in total.
3. Melt butter in pot; add onion and sauté until transparent.
4. Add flour and stir to blend thoroughly with butter.
5. Gradually add broth and water mixture and bring to a boil.
6. Add potatoes, simmer until nearly done, then add fresh blue mussels and gently stir in hot milk and cream.
7. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with bacon strips or a few fresh blue mussels.