2 cups (500 mL) fresh blackberries
1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
1 Tbsp (15 mL) sugar
¾ cup (185 mL) plain Greek yogurt
3 large eggs
1 cup (250 mL) sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
1 ½ cups (275 mL) all-purpose flour
2 ½ tsp (12.5 mL) baking powder
½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
½ cup (125 mL) canola or olive oil
2 Tbsp (30 mL) icing sugar
fresh mint leaves
1. Combine the blackberries, lemon juice and sugar in a medium bowl and stir gently, so as not to mash up the berries but just lightly coat them. Cover and place in the fridge for up to 2 days or until ready to serve.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan.
2. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the yogurt, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and stir just until combined. Using a spatula, fold in the oil until you’re left with a batter that’s thick and shiny.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35–40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.
1. To serve the cake, lightly dust the top with icing sugar, mound the macerated (or fresh) berries in the centre of the cake and garnish with fresh mint leaves.