1. Wash potatoes and place in a large stove-top pot with cold water. Let stand.
2. Remove outside leaves of cabbage. With a sharp knife, chop cabbage into small pieces. Throw into colander and rinse.
3. In large stovetop pot with lid, melt 2 teaspoons of butter at medium-high.
4. Add onion to pan and sauté.
5. Add chopped cabbage to pan.
6. Peel apples, chop and add to pan.
7. Combine water with vinegar, add brown sugar and bay leaves and stir. Pour liquid over cabbage mixture.
8. Bring mixture to a boil then cover and reduce heat to a low simmer for 25-35 minutes.
9. Bring potatoes to a full boil on high heat. Reduce heat to a low boil. Set timer for 15 minutes or until done.
10. In another large nonstick frying pan melt 1 teaspoon of butter at medium-high.
11. Slowly pan fry bratwurst sausages until browned and cooked through.