Fried Chicken with Dill Salt
- prep time30 min
- total time 55 min
- serves 4
Dill adds fun flavour to fried chicken.
4 cups buttermilk
¼ cup pickle juice
¼ cup hot sauce, such as Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 Tbsp minced fresh dill
2 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp onion powder
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 chicken, cut into 10 piecesDill Salt
1 ½ Tbsp minced fresh dill
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepperSeasoning Flour
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup fine cornmeal
2 Tbsp granulated garlic
2 Tbsp smoked paprika
2 Tbsp mustard powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
Freshly ground black pepper
Canola oil, for deep-frying
1. Whisk together the buttermilk, pickle juice, hot sauce, dill, granulated garlic, onion powder, 2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons pepper in a large dish or mixing bowl. Add the chicken pieces and refrigerate, covered, for 2 to 4 hours.Dill Salt
1. Mix together the dill, 2 tablespoons salt and 2 teaspoons pepper in a small bowl.Seasoning Flour
1. Mix together the flour, cornmeal, granulated garlic, smoked paprika, mustard powder, onion powder and 2 teaspoons black pepper in a large mixing bowl.
2. Remove the chicken from the brine and dredge in the seasoned flour. Place on a wire rack over a baking sheet and set aside for 20 to 30 minutes to let the breading set up.
3. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Fill a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven with 3 inches of oil; heat to 350ºF. Set a wire rack over a baking sheet.
4. Working with 3 or 4 pieces at a time (don't overcrowd the pot; the oil temperature will drop too much), fry the chicken until golden brown and crisp, 7 to 8 minutes. (The internal temperature should reach 165ºF and the meat shouldn't be pink; finish any undercooked chicken in the oven.) Transfer the fried chicken to the wire rack to drain. Season with dill salt while hot.