Grilled Red Chile Buttermilk Chicken with Spicy Mango Honey Glaze
- prep time25 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 4
The spice rub for this chicken includes a spicy mix of ancho chile, cascabel chile, New Mexican chile and chile de arbol.
2 Tbsp canola oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small Spanish onion, chopped
3 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and chopped
½ cup dry white wine
¼ cup orange juice
¼ cup pineapple juice
3 - 4 Tbsp clover honey
¼ - ½ tsp chile de Arbol powder (depending on how spicy you like it)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepperRed Chile Buttermilk Chicken
4 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp ancho chile powder
1 Tbsp cascabel chile powder
1 Tbsp New Mexican chile powder
½ tsp chile de Arbol powder or cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp ground cinnamon
4 bone-in chicken breasts, skin on (about 8 oz each)
4 chicken thighs, skin on
4 chicken drumsticks, skin on
¼ cup canola oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large high-sided saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onions cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the mangoes and cook until soft and juicy, stirring occasionally. Add the wine, orange and pineapple juices, 3 tablespoons honey and the chile de arbol and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
2. Transfer to a blender and carefully blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Strain into a bowl, season with salt and pepper and more honey if needed. The mixture should be a thick puree. If too thick, thin with a touch of water. Let cool to room temperature before serving.Red Chile Buttermilk Chicken
1. Whisk together the buttermilk, chile powders, coriander, granulated garlic, onion powder, paprika and cinnamon in a large baking dish. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours, turning a few times.
2. Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry. Place the chicken on a baking rack set over a baking sheet, return to the refrigerator and let sit, uncovered, for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
3. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling. Heat the grill for indirect grilling.
4. Brush the chicken on both sides with the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on the grill directly over the heat and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and continue grilling until the bottom is golden brown. Move to the cooler side of the grill, close the cover and continue grilling until cooked through, about 15 minutes longer. During the last few minutes, brush with some of the mango honey glaze. Remove to a platter and drizzle with more of the glaze.