Haida Gwaii Halibut with Roasted Beets, Toasted Pine Nuts and Aged Balsamic
- prep time5 min
- total time 40 min
- serves 2
2 fillets fresh halibut (6 oz portions)
canola oil, for searing
2 baby golden beets, washed
2 baby red beets, washed
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 Tbsp black peppercorns
1 bay leafTo Finish
½ heads radicchio
1 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
1 splash good-quality fruity olive oil
1 splash aged balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
2. Using a heavy bottomed saucepan on medium-high heat, add the canola oil to the pan and wait until the first smoke appears (you will notice that the oil shimmers in the pan).
3. Season the halibut with kosher salt and carefully place the fish in the pan.
4. Turn the heat to medium-low and let the fish gently sear for 2 minutes.
5. Flip the fish using a fish spatula and place in the oven for 3-4 minutes.
6. Remove the fish from the pan, reserving the pan for the beets.Beets
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Place the beets in a pot (fitted with a lid), and add the red wine vinegar, herbs and peppercorns.
3. Place the lid on the pot, and bring the beet mixture up to a boil on the stove top (high heat).
4. Once boiling, remove from the heat and place in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until a knife inserts easily into the beets.
5. Let the beets stand for 20 minutes at room temperature.
6. While still warm, peel the beets with a clean terry cloth. Be sure to wear latex gloves, as the beets will stain your fingers.
7. Cut the beets in half or quarters and reserve.To Finish
1. While the pan is still hot, use the excess fish oil to roast your beets on medium heat (this will not only save you from using another pan, but will also infuse your beets with the flavourful fish oil).
2. Once the beets have a nice golden colour around the edge, add the chopped radicchio and wilt for 2 minutes.
3. Add the toasted pine nuts, and plate.
4. Place the fish on top and drizzle with aged balsamic and fruity olive oil.