Nonstick cooking spray, for coating baking dish
1 (8-oz) whole wheat baguette, cut into 24 (1/4-inch) slices
1 (12-oz) can evaporated fat-free milk
½ cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp almond extract
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch kosher salt
4 large eggs
⅓ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup + 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
1. Coat a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the bread slices on the diagonal in 3 rows in the dish, slightly overlapping the slices.
2. Whisk together the evaporated milk, milk, vanilla and almond extracts, cinnamon, salt and eggs until well combined. Pour the egg mixture over the bread slices, taking care to evenly coat the bread. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Remove the foil from the baking dish and spoon any remaining egg mixture over the top of the bread pieces to assure they are evenly moistened.
1. Sprinkle the pecans evenly over the bread. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup and the cinnamon. Bake until golden, about 40 minutes.
2. Drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup maple syrup and serve.
Source and Credits
Courtesy of Food Network Kitchen