- prep time15 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 12
Three chickens are marinated in a variety of herbs and spices before being grilled to perfection in this delicious Caribbean-style meal.
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup lime juice (from about 2 limes)
¼ cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp ground allspice
2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp ground nutmeg
5 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bunches scallions (6-8 per bunch), roughly chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
1 (3-inch) piece ginger, peeled and chopped
3 chickens, quartered
Serving suggestions: green leaf lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced red onions, shredded carrots and sliced celery
1. Put the olive oil, lime juice, soy sauce, allspice, sugar, thyme, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic, scallions, jalapenos and ginger in a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Put the chicken into resealable bags and evenly distribute the marinade among the bags. Seal tightly, thoroughly coat the chicken in the marinade and marinate, refrigerated, for at least 30 minutes but preferably overnight.
3. Prepare a grill for medium-high heat.
4. Grill the chicken skin-side down on direct heat, turning once halfway through, until both sides are browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken pieces to indirect heat and grill until a meat thermometer registers 165ºF and the juices run clear, 15 to 20 minutes more.
5. Serve the jerk chicken with a salad of green leaf lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced red onions, shredded carrots and sliced celery.
Special equipment: a meat thermometer