1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp flax meal or ground flax seeds
1 envelope (8 g or 21/4 tsp) Fleischmann’s quick-rising yeast
½ tsp salt
⅔ cup very warm water
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp liquid honey
1 Tbsp cornmeal
Olive oil cooking spray
1 tsp olive oil
6 oz (170 g) light mild Italian sausage
¾ cup thinly sliced red onions
2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
2 oz (57 g) thinly sliced turkey pepperettes
1 Tbsp minced fresh oregano or basil leaves, or 1 tsp dried
½ cup pizza sauce
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup packed shredded light Mozzarella cheese (2 oz/57 g)
½ cup packed shredded light old (sharp) cheddar cheese (2 oz/57 g)
1. Make crust: in a medium bowl, combine both flours, flax meal, yeast and salt. Mix well.
2. Measure warm water in measuring cup, then stir in olive oil and honey. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and mix using a wooden spoon to form a ball. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 2 minutes.
3. Spray another medium bowl with olive oil spray and place dough inside. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, spray a 12-inch pizza pan with olive oil spray and dust with cornmeal. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
5. When dough has risen, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and, using a rolling pin, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to prepared pizza pan.
6. Top with sauce, followed by Parmesan, sausage mixture, and remaining cheeses. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until cheese is completely melted and edges are lightly browned.
1. Heat olive oil in a medium non-stick skillet. Break or cut sausage into small pieces and add to skillet along with onions. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until sausage is cooked through and onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 more minutes. Stir in turkey pepperettes and oregano and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat.