- serves 12
3 cup flour (750 mL)
⅓ cup sugar (750 mL)
1 Tbsp baking powder (15 mL)
½ tsp salt (2 mL)
½ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes (125 mL)
Zest of 2 lemons
1 cup buttermilk (250mL)
2 Tbsp 35% cream (25 mL)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Add butter and mix with your fingertips, or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in lemon zest. Add buttermilk and one tablespoon 35% cream and mix just until combined.
4. Transfer dough to a floured board and divide into 2 parts.
5. Knead dough 4 or 5 times, until dough comes together. Pat into 6-inch diameter round. (Dough will be about 1" thick).
6. Cut each round into 6 wedges and place slightly separated on a greased baking sheet.
7. Brush the tops with the remaining cream and bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
8. Serve warm with Raspberry Butter.