Make-Ahead Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- prep time75 min
- total time 75 min
- serves 12
Yukon gold potatoes are mashed with cream cheese, butter and cream for a delicious side dish that can be made ahead.
5 lb(s) Yukon gold potatoes
8 oz cream cheese
½ cup half-and-half
½ cup heavy cream
1 ½ sticks (12 tbsp) salted butter, softened, plus 4 tbsp butter, cubed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Milk, if needed, for thinning
1. Peel the potatoes, rinse in cold water and chop into quarters. Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes, then return them to the pot. With the burner on low heat, mash the potatoes with a potato masher; the more steam that's released while you mash, the better. Mash for about 5 minutes. Turn off the burner.
3. Add the cream cheese, half-and-half, cream, 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) butter and salt and pepper to taste; stir to combine. If the mixture needs thinning, add some milk. Check the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed. Transfer the potatoes to a casserole dish. At this point, the potatoes can be cooled, covered and refrigerated for a day or two, or baked right away.
4. If baking right away, preheat the oven to 350ºF.
5. Dot the potatoes with the remaining 4 tablespoons cubed butter, cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until the potatoes are heated through, about 10 minutes more.
6. If making ahead: To reheat, bring the potatoes to room temperature. Dot with the remaining 4 tablespoons cubed butter, cover with foil and bake at 350ºF until the butter is melted and the potatoes are heated through, about 45 minutes.