Mesquite-Smoked Beef Ribs with Vinegar BBQ Sauce
- serves 2
Incredible fall-off-the-bone beef ribs that are guaranteed to make your mouth water!
2 rack beef ribs (8 bones each rack)
9 cup mesquite wood chips (6 of these soaked in cool water for 1 hour and drained)
¼ cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp sweet paprika
1 Tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp cracked black pepperVinegar BBQ Sauce
1 cup cider vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp dry mustard
2 tsp chili flakes
Salt and pepper
1. In a small bowl combine all the rub ingredients. Using slight pressure, rub the mixture all over the beef ribs.
2. Place ribs on a tray or a large plastic bag and let marinate in the refrigerator overnight.Vinegar BBQ Sauce
1. The next day prepare the vinegar sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a pot. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow sauce to cool.
2. Remove ribs from marinade and allow them to come to room temperature.
3. Prepare smoke pouches by combining 2 cups (500 mL) wet wood chips with 1 cup dry (250 mL) on a large piece of foil. Fold the foil around the chips loosely to make a package. Using a fork, poke holes throughout the package to allow the smoke to escape. Repeat with remaining woodchips to create another 2 pouches (for 3 pouches in total).
4. Prepare barbeque for slow smoking. Heat one side of the grill to high and leave the other burners off. Place a drip pan on the side with heat turned off. Preheat grill to 220°F (104°C).
5. Place a smoke pouch on the side with heat turned on, directly over heat source (grate removed).
6. Place the ribs over the drip pan. Close barbeque lid and adjust temperature if necessary.
7. Slow smoke the ribs for 2.5-3 hours, basting with the sauce every 20 minutes. Meat is done when it is very soft and ready to fall off the bone.
8. Remove ribs from barbeque and tent with foil. Let rest for 20 minutes before serving.
9. Slice between the bones and serve.