Pan-Seared Sablefish on Cucumber Salsa Verde and Lobster Risotto
- serves 4
Courtesy of Chef Lino Oliviera of Sabor.
4 6-oz portions skin-on sablefish
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
sea salt, to tasteCucumber Salsa Verde
2 stalks green onions
2 large cucumbers
1 small onion, split in half
1 cup olive oil
½ cup white balsamic vinegar
½ bunch parsley
½ bunch cilantro
1 large sprig basil
1 cup arugula
1 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1 pinch chili flakesLobster Risotto
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
4 Tbsp butter
5 cups Lobster Stock (see recipe)
2 cups Arborio rice
¾ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
12 oz fresh lobster, chopped
1 tomato, diced
8 stalks green onion, chopped
salt and pepper, to tasteLobster Stock
2 lb(s) uncooked lobster shells
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 ribs celery
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, whole
½ bunch parsley
1 small can tomato paste
6 whole tomatoes
1 pinch chili flakes
1 cup white wine
4 L water
1. Heat oven to 350ºF and on stovetop, heat pan on high with vegetable oil. When oils starts to smoke, place sablefish skin-side down and cook for 1 minute or until skin is crispy.
2. Turn fish and cook on flesh side for 1 minute. Remove from heat and transfer to oven for 5 minutes until cooked through.Cucumber Salsa Verde
1. Dice 1/2 onion, 1 green onion, 1 cucumber and a pinch of salt and pepper and set aside in a bowl.
2. In a food processor, combine remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Combine with diced ingredients and let sit for 10 minutes.Lobster Risotto
1. Place lobster stock into a saucepan, set over medium heat, and bring to a gentle simmer.
2. In a second saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add diced onion and sauté until soft and translucent.
3. Once the onion is soft, add rice and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
4. Using a ladle, take 1 cup of lobster stock and transfer to saucepan with rice and onions, stirring with a spoon.
5. When stock has absorbed into the rice, add another ladle of lobster stock to the pan. Do not stop stirring. Add fresh lobster and continue adding lobster stock one ladle at a time for 20 minutes.
6. Taste rice for doneness – should be tender but not mushy, light crunch inside (al dente).
7. When risotto is cooked to perfect al dente, add remaining 2 Tbsp of butter, diced tomatoes, green onions, and grated Parmesan cheese. Stir until creamy and serve immediately.Lobster Stock
1. Oil bottom of a large roasting pan. Combine lobster shells, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, tomatoes and roast at 400°F for 1 hour until vegetables and lobster shells are browned and vegetables begin to caramelize around the edges.
2. Transfer mixture to a large stock pot. Add parsley, tomato paste, wine, chili flakes and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.