Pork Chops with Braised Lentils
- serves 4
4 pork chops
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
3 sprigs thyme
2 Tbsp vegetable oilPre-Cooking Lentils
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed and drained
½ small onion
1 small stalk celery
1 small carrot
2 bay leavesBraising Lentils
1 tsp vegatable oil
4 slices double-smoked bacon, diced
¼ cup finely diced carrot, about .5 piece
⅓ cup finely diced leek, about 1 small piece
⅓ cup finely diced onion, about .5 small
1 clove garlic, finely minced
¼ cup white wine
1 cup chicken stock
3 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp creme fraiche
¼ cup chopped parsleyWarm Apple Compote
2 fuji (or matsu) apples, peeled, cored, diced
¼ cup golden raisins
¼ cup calvados
2 Tbsp butter
small pinch brown sugar
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Pick and roughly chop thyme leaves. Smear a good amount of Dijon mustard on chops and season well with chopped thyme, coarse salt and pepper.
3. Heat vegetable oil in large wide oven-safe pan over medium heat. Carefully place chops in pan and sear each side until browned, about 1 minute.
4. Finish chops in oven on middle rack; test for doneness and rest at least 5 minutes before serving.Pre-Cooking Lentils
1. Combine lentils, onion, celery, carrot, and bay leaves in a medium saucepot.
2. Cover with cold water to measure 1 inch above level of lentils. Simmer, uncovered until lentils are cooked and liquid has mostly evaporated, about 20-25min. Season with salt and pepper.Braising Lentils
1. Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon pieces and cook until slightly crispy.
2. Add carrots, onion, leek, and garlic and gently sweat for a few minutes.
3. Add wine to deglaze, scraping any crispy brown bits.
4. Add chicken stock and lentils; bring to simmer and reduce until liquid reaches a light sauce consistency.
5. To finish, gently stir in butter, creme fraiche and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.Warm Apple Compote
1. For apple compote, gently heat calvados and raisins in a small saucepot.
2. Heat butter in a large pan over medium high heat. Add apples and brown sugar; saute until light golden, about 3 minutes.
3. Take pan off heat, add calvados and raisins, and return to heat.
4. If desired, light pan and let alcohol burn off. Otherwise, let liquid simmer, reducing slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. To serve, divide lentils onto serving plates. Place pork chops on top and spoon over any collected pan juices. Serve with apple compote