Pork Skewers with Avocado Tzatziki
- serves 0
8 to 10 8-inch wooden skewers, soaked
2 lb(s) boneless pork, cut into 1 1/2-inch strips or cubes
2 whole oranges, cut into wedges for the skewers
3 whole lemons, cut into wedges for the skewers
6 pita rounds, sliced into two half-moon shapes
Iceberg or Romaine lettuce, shreddedMarinade
½ cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup fresh orange juice
½ tsp dried chili flakes
1 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp minced garlic
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepperAvocado Tzatziki
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cup plain yogurt (or low-fat)
1 cup peeled, seeded and grated cucumber (about 1 medium cucumber)
1 whole peeled avocado, diced small
1. Soak skewers in a shallow pan of water for at least one hour.
2. Thread skewers with 3 or 4 pieces of marinated pork, alternating with small wedges of lemons and oranges. Place skewers on an area of the grill with no direct flame. Continue to brush marinade during grilling, until meat is browned, about 8 to 10 minutes or to desired doneness.
3. Serve immediately in pita pockets topped with shredded salad and avocado tzatziki.Marinade
1. Make the marinade by combining the olive oil, juices, chili flakes, chili powder, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (although I prefer to marinate for 3 hours or overnight).Avocado Tzatziki
1. Add lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt to the yogurt. Add grated cucumber, diced avocado and mix well. Chill for at least one hour.
Cat’s Note: To get as much cucumber flavor as possible, grate the cucumber right over the yogurt.