1. If using fresh salmon, preheat the broiler to high. Broil salmon with a little olive oil and salt until cooked, about 7 minutes. Cool and finely flake the salmon with a fork, set aside. If using a can of salmon, simply drain.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the quinoa, cheese, egg, salmon and ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs. Mix with a fork to just combine. The mixture should be moist and stick together when squeezed.
3. Using slightly wet hands, divide the mixture into 4 even. Shape into patties and coat lightly in remaining panko breadcrumbs, and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate or freeze patties for 15 minutes.
4. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and sear for 5 minutes per side until browned. Flip and continue to sear until golden brown and heated through, 5 minutes more.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl toss together grapefruit and avocado; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
6. Serve 2 salmon quinoa cakes on a bed of spring greens with grapefruit salsa.
7. Note: To freeze cakes. Assemble the cakes; freeze for 15 minutes until firm. Wrap in tin foil and freeze for up to 2 months. To cook, preheat the oven to 350ºF and bake for 35 minutes or until golden and heated through.