Rainbow Quinoa Taco Salad with Vegan Dressing
- serves 4
Healthy rainbow taco salad with a creamy sunflower dressing for a bit of zing.
Courtesy of Lauren Toyota and John Diemer of hot for food blog.
½ cup rainbow quinoa
1 cup water
¼ tsp sea salt
8 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
1 small can black beans (approx. 1 cup), drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
2 avocados, diced
¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
½ cup tomato, diced
¼ cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
2 tsp lime juice
corn chips, for serving (optional)Dressing
½ cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked for 3 hours
½ cup water
1 lime, juiced (approx. 2 1/2 Tbsp lime juice)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp hot sauce
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp ground pepper
1. In a small pot combine quinoa, water, and sea salt. Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile combine diced tomato, red onion, cilantro and lime juice to make a fresh salsa.
3. Just before serving dress the chopped romaine lettuce in a large mixing bowl with 4 tablespoons of dressing and then divide portions into serving bowls.
4. Top each serving with quinoa, black beans, corn, diced avocado, fresh tomato salsa, and another drizzle of dressing.
5. Serve with corn chips on the side if desired.Dressing
1. Drain and rinse the soaked sunflower seeds and then add to a high-powered blender with remaining dressing ingredients. Combine until smooth.