Raspado de Horchata con Fresas (Strawberry-Horchata Shaved Ice)
Courtesy of Chef Edgar Gutierrez of Tres Carnales.
1 ¾ cups blanched almonds
¾ cup medium-grain rice
3 cup hot water
1 piece Mexican cinnamon
1 can evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk
2 cup strawberries
1 pinch salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1. Roast the 3/4 cup of almonds in a 350ºF oven for 8 minutes.
2. Combine the rice, hot water, cinnamon, and remaining almonds. Soak for at least 5 hours.
3. Working in batches, blend the rice mixture, evaporated milk, condensed milk and a pinch of salt. Strain the mixture through a sieve.
4. Rinse and hull the strawberries and mash the strawberries and sugar with a fork. Set aside for at least 1 hour.
5. For each serving, put about 2 tablespoons of strawberries in a glass.
6. Mound about 1 cup of shaved ice on top of the strawberries and drizzle the horchata over the ice.
7. Garnish with almonds and a drizzle of strawberries syrup.