Rigatoni with Eggplant Purée
- prep time15 min
- total time 55 min
- serves 4 - 6
This rich, cheesy pasta dish can be served as a main or a side dish.
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 pt cherry tomatoes
3 cloves whole garlic
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
¼ cup toasted pine nuts
1 lb(s) rigatoni pasta
¼ cup torn fresh mint leaves
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup grated Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl combine the eggplant, cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Spread the vegetables out in an even layer on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven until the vegetables are tender and the eggplant is golden, about 35 minutes.
3. While the vegetables are roasting, place the pine nuts in a small baking dish. Place in the oven on the rack below the vegetables. Roast until golden, about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve.
4. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta into a large bowl and reserve 1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid.
5. Transfer the roasted vegetables to a food processor. Add the torn mint leaves and extra-virgin olive oil. Purée the vegetables.
6. Transfer the puréed vegetables to the bowl with the pasta and add the Parmesan. Stir to combine, adding the pasta cooking liquid 1/2 cup at a time until the pasta is saucy. Sprinkle the pine nuts over the top and serve.