Rustic Italian Pizza
- prep time30 min
- total time 40 min
- serves 2
If you're looking for home-cooked Italian comfort food, this recipe will prove irresistibly delicious.
Courtesy of Bob and Carlene Deutscher of BS' in the Kitchen.
3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
¼ tsp active dry yeast
1 ½ cups waterPizza
2 Italian sausage, cooked
2 - 3 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
3 - 4 Tbsp pizza sauce
⅓ cup Mozzarella
⅓ cup Cheddar cheese
4 Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
1 carrot, shaved into ribbons
¼ large red onion, sliced
1 tomato, sliced, seeds removed
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ Tbsp dried oregano
red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
1. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, slowly add the water, whisking until ingredients are well combined. Gently mix the dough with your hands until a ball is formed.
2. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, allowing the dough to rest at room temperature for around 18 hours, or until it roughly doubles in size.
3. Once dough has rested, cut into 3 portions. On a floured work surface, gather 4 corners to the centre of the dough, creating 4 folds.
4. Place seam side down, gently form dough into a ball, dust with flour, wrap in plastic, or cover with damp towel and let rest for 1 hour. If storing in the fridge, lightly coat ball of dough with oil, and wrap in plastic wrap, taking dough out of the fridge at least an hour before using for pizza.
5. Before cooking the pizza, turn oven to its hottest setting (500°F), allowing to preheat for 1 hour. If using a pizza stone, place it in the oven before preheating.
6. To form the discs, flour whatever surface you will be transferring the pizza into the oven with (I use a large pizza paddle). Using the back of your hands, gently stretch the dough into 10-12 inch discs, then place toppings on pizza.
7. If using pizza stone, place pizza on the stone, turn the oven to broil, and bake for 5-7 minutes until pizza is cooked to your liking.
8. If you don’t have a pizza stone, place pizza on a floured baking sheet, and cook for about 10 minutes on the oven's hottest setting.Pizza
1. In a bowl, combine sliced Brussels sprouts, ribbons of carrot, red onion, oregano and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and a bit of red wine vinaigrette, followed by salt and pepper to taste; toss to coat.
2. Once pizza dough is formed, spread on an even coating of pizza sauce, followed by chopped bacon, along with a little bit of Cheddar and Mozzarella cheese.
3. Spread Brussels sprouts, onion, and garlic mixture onto pizza, then top with sliced Italian sausage, tomato, and the rest of the cheese.
4. Bake according to directions above.
5. Slice, serve and enjoy!