Salmon Ceviche with Horseradish Cream

Salmon Ceviche with Horseradish Cream
Cook Time
3 min
6 servings

This quick and easy dish combines gorgeous salmon, crisp apples and a kick of spice.



For the Sage Salt

Tbsp kosher salt
sage leaves
Oil for frying

For the Horseradish Cream

cup heavy cream
oz prepared horseradish, squeezed to remove the liquid
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 1 lemon
Kosher salt to taste

For the Ceviche

oz fresh skinless, boneless salmon, thinly sliced
Kosher salt to taste
Juice of 1 lime
scallion, thinly sliced on a bias
bunch chives cut into ½ inch batons
granny smith apple sliced thinly on a mandolin
red onion, shaved thinly on a mandolin
Tbsp mustard oil


Step 1

For the sage salt, heat the oil to 375 degrees using a candy thermometer. Remove the stems from the sage leaves and drop the sage into the oil. When the rapid bubbling slows down after a minute or so, remove the sage leaves and dry on paper towels. Grind the fried sage leaves in a food processor or spice grinder (coffee mill), and then add the kosher salt and pulse once or twice. Let dry for at least 2 hours at room temperature.

Step 2

Add the squeezed horseradish to the cream and reduce by half over medium heat. Cool completely, add the orange and lemon juice, season with salt, and blend in a blender until creamy and frothy. Keep chilled until ready for use.

Step 3

Toss the salmon with the salt and let the salt dissolve into the salmon before tossing in the lime juice. Let rest for 1 minute to let the lime juice cure the salmon and let the salmon become pale. Take 75 percent of the apple slices and cut into batons, reserving the other 25 percent for garnish. Toss in the apple batons, scallions, red onion, and chives. Place the ceviche on the plates and garnish with dollops of the horseradish cream. Garnish with remaining slices of apple slices and serve with the sage salt on the side.

Rate Recipe

My rating for Salmon Ceviche with Horseradish Cream