Savoury Spiral Scones
- serves 0
This recipe comes with two options for filling: bacon, sundried tomato and cheddar, or garlic cream cheese and dill.
2 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
½ cup whipping cream
¼ cup 2% milk, plus extra for brushing
1 large eggFilling Option 1 - Bacon, Sund
¼ cup cooked diced bacon
2 Tbsp finely chopped sundried tomato (oil packed and drained is best)
½ cup finely grated cheddar cheese
milk, for brushing
sesame seeds, for sprinklingFilling Option 2 - Garlic Crea
½ pkg cream cheese at room temperature
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
milk, for brushing
poppy seeds, for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Cut in the butter until the mixture is rough and crumbly but still small pieces of butter are visible.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the cream, milk, egg and vanilla together. Add this to the flour mixture and stir to just bring the dough together, turning out onto a lightly floured work surface to complete bringing it together with your hands. Press the dough out into a rectangle about 10-x-14-inches.
4. After selected filling option is prepared, slice the dough into 8 rounds and place them on a parchment-lined baking tray. Brush the tops of the scones with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds. Bake the scones for about 20 minutes until lightly browned. Allow the scones to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.Filling Option 1 - Bacon, Sund
1. For Filling Option 1, Sprinkle the dough with the bacon, sundried tomato and cheddar. Roll the dough up tightly from the 10-inch side.Filling Option 2 - Garlic Crea
1. For filling option 2, beat the cream cheese with the garlic and dill and spread this over the dough. Roll the dough up tightly from the 10-inch side.