1. Whisk 1 Tablespoon salt, 2 teaspoons black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder in a small bowl. Rub and season chicken with spices. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg and hot sauce. In a separate large dish, whisk flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Set a wire rack inside a large rimmed baking sheet.
3. Dip one piece of chicken at a time in buttermilk mixture, allowing the excess to drip back into bowl. Then dredge in flour mixture and let rest on a large plate or wire rack to dry out a little.
4. In a cast-iron skillet or another heavy straight-sided skillet, heat oil to 350°F (180ºC) using a thermometer.
5. Fry 3-5 pieces of chicken at a time, turning every 1–2 minutes until skin is deep golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken registers 165°F (75ºC) (10 minutes for wings and 12 minutes for legs, thighs and breasts).
6. Remove chicken and place on a wire rack.
7. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
1. In a medium non-stick sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add Sriracha and honey and whisk together.
2. Transfer one piece of fried chicken to sauce pan and dredge in sauce with tongs. Continue with rest of the chicken.