Slow Roasted Holiday Ham
1. Preheat oven to 300 F.
2. Place ham on a rack in a roasting pan and score the skin on top. Pour about 2 cups of water in the bottom of the pan. Place in oven and bake, uncovered, for 4 to 6 hours.
3. Stir honey and mustard together and spoon half of glaze over ham and baste, cooking for 1 ½ hours more.
4. Carve ham and serve with remaining glaze.
1. Cover prunes with water in a saucepot and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain liquid, reserving 1/2 cup.
2. Puree prunes in a food processor. Spoon puree back into pot; add reserved liquid and sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
3. Cook over low heat, stirring regularly, until filling becomes thick. Allow to cool before filling cake.
1. Alternate pastry layers with equal amounts of prune filling, finishing with a top pastry layer.
2. To serve, dust top of torte with icing sugar. Refrigerate cake before serving. As the cake chills, the layers will soften.
Vinetara Shortbread Layers
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). In a bowl or in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until fluffy.
2. Add sugar gradually and beat until smooth.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add sifted baking powder, cream, almond extract and cardamom. Work in flour. Dough will resemble shortbread.
4. Divide dough into 7 equal parts. Roll dough into rounds, just over 1/4-inch thick. Cut a disc using a 9-inch pan to trace. Using a palette knife or the bottom of a removable tart pan, gently slide disc onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (you should be able to fit 2 discs onto a sheet).
5. Continue rolling and cutting remaining 5 pieces. Bake until delicately browned, about 12-15 minutes.