½ lb(s) (250g) Yukon gold potatoes
1 egg, lightly beaten
Pinch of each salt and pepper
3 Tbsp (50 mL) melted butter
½ cup (125 mL) crème fraîche or sour cream
tsp (10 mL) finely grated lemon rind
tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh dill
½ tsp (2 mL) lemon zest
½ cup (125 mL) watercress
200 g good quality smoked trout
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 Celsius). Using a mandolin, finely shred potatoes. In a large bowl, stir together grated potato, egg, salt and pepper. Squeeze out any liquid. Spoon half of mixture into 12 greased mini muffin tins.
2. Using a spoon, push the grated potato up the sides to make a nest shape. Pour about ¼ teaspoon (1 mL) melted butter into each nest.
3. Bake in centre of oven until golden and cooked through 15-20 minutes. Cool on rack. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
4. In a small bowl, stir together crème fraîche, lemon rind and dill. Divide evenly, filling centre of each nest.
5. Top with 1-2 stems of watercress and a 1-inch (2.5 cm) piece of smoked trout.