Southern Chicken 'Criscuits'
- serves 8 - 10
A croissant-biscuit hybrid is filled with seasoned ground chicken, mashed potato, corn, kale, and gravy.
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb(s) ground chicken
½ cup sweet corn, frozen or canned, drained
¾ cup instant mashed potato flakes
½ cup kale, washed and chopped
1 package instant gravy mix
½ cup water
1 can (8 count) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescents
1 can (10 count) Pillsbury™ refrigerated country biscuits
1 ½ Tbsp all-purpose chicken seasoning mix, divided
Flour for dusting
½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 eggs, beaten, if desired
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 375°F. In 10-inch skillet, add in oil and cook ground chicken for 5 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Add in sweet corn, instant mashed potato flakes, kale, and instant gravy mix and ½ cup water. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until the mash potato flakes have moistened. Set aside.
2. In a large mixer, combine the cans of dough with 1 tablespoon all-purpose chicken seasoning until evenly mixed.
3. Divide the dough into golf ball sized portions. Press or roll each dough ball to form a 4-inch round.
4. Fill each pressed round with 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture and 1½ teaspoons cheddar cheese.
5. Bringing all the edges of the dough into the center, fold the dough around the filling. Seal and roll into a ball.
6. Place on baking tray lined with parchment paper and brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle the remaining ½ tablespoon of all-purpose chicken seasoning mix.
7. Bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet and serve warm.
Recipe by Wallace Wong