Spaghettoni Barilla "Freddo"
- serves 4
basil, to taste
400 g Barilla Spaghettoni
1 Dungeness crab
parsley, to taste
1 lemon, zested
sherry vinegar, to taste
2 Tbsp herring caviar
salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp garlic, caramelized
chili, to taste
nasturtium leaves, to taste
1 ½ cup ripe Roma tomato
½ cup Italian cucumber
½ cup white onion
¼ cup red pepper
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Peel the tomato, cucumber and the onion.
2. Put the tomato, onion, cucumber, red pepper, olive oil, salt and pepper, and chili in a mixer and let it blend for 3 minutes.
3. Check the seasoning; add some sherry vinegar to taste.
4. Strain the gazpacho through a fine strainer, and let it rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
5. Cook the crab in boiling water with vinegar, white wine and nasturtium leaves. Chef Giacomo uses the rule of every ½ cup of weight of the crab, cook for 1 minute.
6. Cool crab in ice water. When cooled, open from the head and start cleaning the crab pulling all of the meat with a small spoon and toothpick.
7. Cook the Barilla Spaghettoni in one minute less than the directions on the box.
8. When it’s cooked, cool it down in a bowl of ice as it cooks to al dente.
9. Drain and add the crab, garlic, lemon zest, oil, parsley and basil (chopped).
10. Take the gazpacho and put it on the bottom of the plate, and put the cold spaghetti on top.
11. Finish with a generous scoop of herring caviar.