¾ cup (175 mL) whole wheat flour
½ cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
½ cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
¾ tsp (4 mL) cinnamon, divided
½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
¼ tsp (1 mL) + pinch salt, divided
⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) ground cloves
¼ cup (50 mL) cold PC Unsalted Country Churned Butter, cubed
¼ cup (50 mL) cold 2% milk
1 Tbsp (15 mL) coarse suagr (such as Demerara)
2 tsp (10 mL) melted PC Unsalted Country Churned Butter
2 pkg (each 135 g) PC The Decadent Chocolate Ganache Pots
1. Place both flours, the brown sugar, 1/4 tsp of the cinnamon, the baking soda, 1/4 tsp of the salt, and the cloves in food processor. Process until combined. Add cubed butter; pulse on and off until coarse crumble forms. Slowly add milk through the feed tube, pulsing on and off until chunky crumble forms. Transfer mixture to work surface; knead a few times until smooth dough forms. Shape into ball; flatten into 1-inch thick disc. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill for 1-½ hours.
2. Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine coarse sugar, remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of salt in small bowl; set aside.
3. Place dough on large square of parchment paper on work surface; dust top with flour. Roll dough to 13 X 9-inch rectangle. Transfer dough on parchment to another baking sheet; refrigerate 20 minutes or until firm.
4. Trim edges of rectangle to straighten. Cut rectangle in half lengthwise; cut each half crosswise into 18, 3/4-inch wide bars. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with coarse sugar mixture. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
5. Place bars spaced 1/2-inch apart on prepared baking sheets. (If dough becomes soft, return to refrigerator and chill until firm).
6. Bake one sheet at time in centre of oven 14 to 16 minutes or until deep brown and firm to the touch. Cool on baking sheet on rack. Makes about 36 bars.
7. Heat ganache pots, two at a time and with lids removed, in microwave on HIGH 10 to 12 seconds or until melted. Repeat twice with remaining pots. Place one pot and four cookies on each of six plates. Store remaining cookies in airtight tin.
Tips and Substitutions
Run fingers under parchment paper to release cut bars from parchment after brushing with butter and sprinkling with sugar.
Per serving: 370 calories, fat 21 g, sodium 170 mg, carbohydrate 41 g, fibre 3 g, protein 4 g
Source and Credits
Recipe by Chef Charmaine Baan
Courtesy of PC