The Pioneer Woman's Sausage-Stuffed Mushrooms
- prep time50 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 10 - 12
Mushroom caps filled with spicy sausage, Cheddar and cream cheese are a simple and delicious appetizer for any occasion.
24 oz white button mushrooms
⅓ lb(s) hot pork sausage
1 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary
2 tsp minced fresh sage
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
½ medium onion, finely diced
⅓ cup dry white wine
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 oz cream cheese
1 large egg yolk
¾ cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp chopped chives
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Wipe off or wash the mushrooms in cold water. Pop out the stems, reserving. Chop the mushroom stems finely and set aside.
3. Crumble the sausage into a hot dry skillet and cook until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside on a plate to cool.
4. Add the rosemary, sage, garlic and onions to the same skillet; cook for 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Pour in the wine to deglaze the skillet, allowing the liquid to evaporate for a couple of minutes. Add the chopped mushroom stems and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set the mixture aside on a plate to cool.
5. In a bowl, combine the cream cheese and egg yolk. Add the Cheddar cheese and mix. Add the sausage and mushroom stems and stir together.
6. Arrange the mushroom caps on a baking sheet. Spoon some of the sausage mixture into the cavity of each mushroom, filling the cap and creating a sizable mound over the top. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the chives.