Toasted Coconut Shortbread with Pineapple Filling
- serves 12
½ cup sweetened coconut, fine shred
1 cup and 2 tbsp all purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
½ cup unsalted butter at room temperaturePineapple Cream
½ cup cream cheese at room temperature
⅓ cup icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup crushed pineapple, drained
⅔ cup whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
1. Simply cut Toasted Coconut Shortbread into rounds and bake.
2. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spread coconut on an ungreased baking tray and toast for 10 minutes, stirring once. Allow to cool.
3. Combine flour, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add butter in pieces and pulse just until dough is crumbly. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and sprinkle toasted coconut over. Work coconut into dough until dough comes together. Dust work surface again and roll out dough into a rectangle about 1/8 –inch thick, and cut into circles using a cookie cutter or small glass Use a spatula to lift cookies onto a parchment-lined baking tray and bake, on the center rack of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, just until edges of cookie colour slightly. Cool cookies on the pan for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.Pineapple Cream
1. Beat cream cheese until soft and fluffy. Beat in icing sugar and vanilla. Stir in pineapple and fold into whipped cream. Chill until ready to serve.
2. To plate, place a cookie on a plate with thinly sliced pineapple. Then spoon or pipe about 2 Tbsp of pineapple cream onto cookie and top with another cookie. Spoon or pipe another 2 Tbsp of cream and serve.