Triple Pepperoni Pizza
- prep time110 min
- total time 110 min
- serves 8
Pizza topped with a homemade sauce, lots of meaty pepperoni and bubbly mozzarella cheese.
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ recipe Foolproof Pizza Dough, recipe follows
4 Tbsp Pizza Sauce, recipe follows
1 oz fresh mozzarella, torn
3 oz mozzarella, shredded
1 oz provolone, shredded
10 - 15 pepperoni slices
1 tsp Garlic Butter, recipe followsFoolproof Pizza Dough
1 Tbsp instant or active dry yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp kosher salt
⅓ cup olive oil, plus additional for drizzlingPizza Sauce
1 15-oz can crushed Italian plum tomatoes in thick puree
1 15-oz can plum tomato strips
½ cup basil chiffonade
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ Tbsp Calabrian chile paste
1 tsp flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
1 tsp sugar
4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly choppedGarlic Butter
3 ½ sticks salted butter
16 cloves garlic, finely pressed
Coarse sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 500°F. Brush a sheet pan with olive oil.
2. Roll out the dough ball, then transfer to the sheet pan. Spoon on the pizza sauce and spread it around, then top with the fresh mozzarella.
3. Mix together the shredded mozzarella and provolone in a bowl, then sprinkle over the pizza.
4. Place the pepperoni all over the top. Bake until done, 10 to 12 minutes. Brush the crust with garlic butter, then serve.Foolproof Pizza Dough
1. Sprinkle the yeast over 1 1/2 cups of warm (not lukewarm) water. Let stand for a few minutes.
2. Combine the flour and salt in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Turn the mixer on low speed and drizzle in the oil until combined with the flour. Next, pour in the yeast mixture and mix until just combined and the dough comes together in a sticky mass.
3. Coat a separate mixing bowl with a light drizzle of olive oil and form the dough into a ball. Toss to coat the dough in the oil, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and set it aside for at least 1 or up to 2 hours at room temperature, or store in the fridge until you need it, up to 4 days ahead. Bring the refrigerated dough to room temperature before using.
4. Cook's Note: The dough is best made at least 24 hours in advance, and 3 or 4 days is even better.Pizza Sauce
1. Add the plum tomatoes, tomato strips, basil, oil, chile paste, salt, sugar and garlic to a food processor and blend until smooth.Garlic Butter
1. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, then add the garlic and salt. Cook for a couple of minutes to release the flavor, but don't let the garlic brown.