2 cups rainbow kale
1 lb(s) dried orecchiette
½ lb(s) turkey sausage, casings discarded and meat chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp sea salt, plus more, to taste
½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
pinch red pepper flakes for a bit of bite
1. In a pan over medium-low heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil, add the bread crumbs and stir to coat. Season lightly with salt and cook, stirring often, until the crumbs are an even, deep golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, add 2 tablespoon salt and the kale and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Cool under cold running water, drain and squeeze gently to remove excess moisture. Chop coarsely and set aside.
3. Cook pasta until al dente according to the package directions.
4. Meanwhile, warm the 1/3 cup olive oil over medium-low heat. Add sausage and garlic and cook, stirring and breaking up meat with the back of a wooden spoon until browned, about 7 minutes. Add the kale and stir to combine for about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
5. When the pasta is ready, scoop out and reserve about 2 ladlefuls of the cooking water, drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the sausage mixture and cheese and toss well over low heat to combine, adding some of the cooking water, if needed.
6. Top each portion with a sprinkle of the toasted bread crumbs and more cheese.