Valerie's Homemade Pizza
- prep time20 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 4
The best part about these easy grilled pizza bases can be customized with whatever toppings you like. From vegetarian to meat lover, feel free to make it your own.
1 package active dry yeast
¾ cup warm water
2 tsp honey
1 pinch sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for flouring
½ cup whole-wheat flour
½ cup bread flour
1 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for coating bowl
Favorite pizza toppings, as desired
Canola oil, for coating the grill grates
1. In a small bowl, combine the yeast with the warm water, honey and sugar. Let the mixture sit until it begins to foam, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, bread flour and salt and then make a well in the center. Add the yeast mixture and the olive oil. Using a fork, incorporate the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until a dough forms. On a lightly floured surface, continue to work and then knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes.
3. Lightly coat a clean bowl with olive oil and then add the dough, turning once to coat the dough in oil. Cover and set in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
4. Prepare a grill for medium-high heat; make sure the grill grates are clean. Have your pizza toppings standing by.
5. Cut the dough in quarters, shape into balls and work with 1 ball at a time. Stretch each dough ball into a 9- to 10-inch circle by hand or roll into a bigger (and thinner) circle with a rolling pin.
6. With a towel soaked in canola oil, coat the grill grates lightly in oil. Add the dough rounds and cook until grill marks form and the dough stiffens, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the crusts and cook for an additional minute.
7. Remove the crusts to an inverted baking sheet (so they slide off easily). Load the crusts with the desired toppings. Return to the grill, cover and cook the pizzas until the toppings are warmed and the cheese is melted, 2 to 4 more minutes. Remove carefully, cut and serve.