It’s National Corn Fritter Day! We love celebrating this tasty comfort food so we’ve come up with an easy vegan recipe with all the elements of a classic corn fritter. Plus, we whipped up a spicy and tangy jalapeno cream to dip them in. You can thank us later!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 12 fritters
Jalapeno Cream (makes 1 cup):
¾ cup cold-pressed olive oil
½ cup non-dairy milk
3 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp pickled jalapeno slices (5-6 slices)
1 garlic clove
¼ tsp ground mustard
¼ tsp sea salt
Corn Zucchini Fritters:
2 cups frozen corn, thawed and drained
1 ½ cups shredded zucchini
¼ cup finely minced shallot
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup fine corn meal
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp ground pepper
¼ cup non-dairy milk
4 Tbsp vegetable oil (for frying)
1. In a blender, add non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, ground mustard and sea salt. Blend on high while slowly adding the olive oil. Blend until thick and smooth. Then add pickled jalapenos and a garlic clove, and continue blending until they’re well combined into the sauce. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
2. Place shredded zucchini in a strainer and coat with ¼ tsp of sea salt. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then squeeze the excess water out of the zucchini shreds with your hands.
3. Place zucchini in a large mixing bowl with corn, minced shallot, all-purpose flour, corn meal, nutritional yeast, and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt, ground pepper, paprika and nutmeg. Stir to combine well.
4. Then stir in non-dairy milk and combine into a thick batter.
5. Heat a non-stick pan to medium heat with 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil. Use a scant ¼ cup of batter for each fritter and shape into a patty with your hands.
6. Place 2-3 fritters in the pan at a time and fry 1 ½ – 2 minutes per side, until golden brown on the outside. Add another 2 Tbsp of oil to the pan once you’ve fried about 6 fritters.
See more from hot for food on their YouTube channel.