Vietnamese Meatball Sandwich
- prep time10 min
- total time 35 min
- serves 4
These ground pork meatballs, packed with the warm flavours of Southeast Asia, make for a terrific lunch or dinner meal.
Inspired by VH Sauces.
1 lb(s) (500 g) ground pork
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped fresh basil
4 clove garlic, minced
3 green onions, finely chopped
1 cup (250 mL) VH® Asian 5 Spice Stir-Fry Sauce
½ tsp (2 mL) pepper
1 ½ Tbsp (22 mL) canola oil
4 soft rolls or 1 baguette cut into 4 pieces
⅓ cup (75 mL) light mayonnaise
2 cup (500 mL) grated carrots
1 cup (250 mL) julienned cucumber
¼ cup (60 mL)cilantro leaves
1. In bowl, combine pork, basil, garlic, green onions, 1 tbsp (15 mL) VH® Asian 5 Spice Stir-Fry Sauce and pepper. Shape into 1-inch (2.5 cm) meatballs.
2. Heat oil in large non-stick skillet, set over medium-high heat. Add meatballs. Cook, turning several times, until cooked through and browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain off any excess fat.
3. Add all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) of remaining VH® Asian 5 Spice Stir-Fry Sauce to pan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
4. Cut open bun and scoop out excess dough from inside bun. Stir remaining tablespoon of VH® Asian 5 Spice Stir-Fry Sauce into mayonnaise. Spread onto one side of bun.
5. Divide meatballs evenly among buns, spooning any excess sauce from skillet over meatballs. Top with carrots, cucumber and cilantro leaves.