Easy Cinnamon Twists
- serves 16
These easy dough twists are perfect as a morning snack with breakfast or next to hot beverage in the afternoon.
1 cup (225 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 oz (180 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
2 Tbsp (25 g) granulated sugar
2 cups (300 g) all-purpose flourAssembly
½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon zest
½ tsp (1.5 g) ground cinnamon
¼ cup (60 g) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup (150 g) raisins
1 egg, whisked with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) water, for brushing
1. For the dough, beat the butter and cream cheese together in a large bowl until smooth. Beat in the sugar, then add the flour and stir until well combined. Shape the dough into 2 discs, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours, until firm.Assembly
1. To assemble, preheat the oven to 375 ºF (190 ºC) and line 1 to 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Stir the sugar, lemon zest and cinnamon together in a small dish.
3. Roll out the first disc of dough on a lightly floured work surface to a rectangle about 10-x-15-inches (25-x-36 cm) and ¼-inch (12 mm) thick. Trim the edges and then brush it with the melted butter and sprinkle generously with the cinnamon sugar. Sprinkle half of the raisins on half of the dough (10-x-7.5 inches/12-x-18 cm) and fold the half without raisins over this to cover and press gently (the dough will not seal). Cut this into 8 strips and give each a few twist before placing onto the baking trays, leaving space between them (don’t worry if a few raisins fall out). Repeat this with the second piece of dough.
4. Brush the twists with a little egg wash and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar, if any is left. Bake the twists for about 20 minutes, until golden brown. Cool the twists on the baking trays.
5. The twists will keep up to 3 days in an airtight container.