Crème brûlée looks like a million bucks, with its smooth, creamy interior and crispy, sugary top, but don’t be intimidated by this posh dessert, it’s actually super simple to prepare.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 40 minutes
2 cups 35% Cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp rum extract or 1 tsp rum
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup demerara sugar or granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 300ºF. Place 4 (4-oz) ramekins in a baking dish.
2. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, heat cream, maple syrup, vanilla, rum and salt until steaming and small bubbles appear around the edges. Add egg yolks to a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in cream mixture to yolks. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a pitcher with a pour spout. Divide mixture between ramekins.
3. Add 1/2 an inch of hot water to the base of the baking dish so it surrounds the ramekins.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until mixture wobbles when tapped and is just set. Cool for 30 minutes at room temperature then for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
5. To serve, evenly divide 1/4 cup of sugar between the ramekins. Using a blowtorch or rotating under a medium-high broiler, caramelize sugar. Rest for 5 minutes. Enjoy!