Crispy Pancetta Crostini with Arugula-Lemon Pesto
- prep time25 min
- total time 35 min
- serves 12
Lemon-infused pesto pairs beautifully with salty pancetta atop slices of toasted baguette.
¼ cup pine nuts
12 very thin slices pancetta (about 3 oz)
½ small garlic clove, minced
¼ cup grated Parmesan
2 cups loosely packed arugula
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
2 tsp lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 slices baguette, lightly toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toast the pine nuts in a saute pan over medium-high heat until golden in spots, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and reserve.
3. Arrange the pancetta in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to cool.
4. Combine the toasted pine nuts, garlic and Parmesan in a food processor; pulse to finely chop. Add the arugula and continue to pulse until finely chopped. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil; process until incorporated. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper, and pulse to combine.
5. Spoon a nice dollop of pesto onto each slice of baguette, top with a pancetta crisp and serve.
Any remaining pesto can be kept refrigerated for up to 2 days in an airtight container with plastic wrap pressed directly