This bread is a quick and simple one to enjoy whether your favourite St. Patrick’s Day meal is a potato soup, beef stew or green eggs and ham.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons caraway seeds or cumin seeds
1 teaspoon baking-soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (about) buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Lightly flour baking sheet.
3. Mix flour, cumin/caraway seeds (if using), baking soda and salt in large bowl.
4. Mix in enough buttermilk to form moist clumps. Gather dough into ball.
5. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead just until dough holds together, about 1 minute.
6. Shape dough into 6-inch-diameter by 2-inch-high round. Place on prepared baking sheet.
7. Cut an “X” 1-inch deep across the top of bread, extending almost to edges.
8. Bake until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, about 35 minutes. Transfer bread to rack and cool completely.
Amanda Riva is the host of The Hot Plate, a free online cooking show dedicated to inspiring culinary confidence in new cooks. The Hot Plate also offers regular cooking tips and advice, how-tos, and information on seasonal ingredients.
Amanda Riva is part of the Lifestyle Blog Network family.