Simple, delicious and comforting, traditional Margherita pizza is made vegan thanks to this tasty, cheese-less recipe that replaces classic mozzarella with non-dairy cheese shreds. The cast iron skillet method is ideal for creating a restaurant-quality pie, helping you get a super-crispy, thin-crust slice without any special equipment.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 33 minutes
All-purpose flour, as needed
2 tsp fine cornmeal, for pan
1/2 lb fresh pizza dough (from supermarket or local pizzeria), room temperature
1/2 cup strained tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
1 cup non-dairy shredded mozzarella cheese, such as Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds
1/4 tsp flaky sea salt or fine-grain sea salt
8 fresh basil leaves, torn
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, more for hands
1. Place one oven rack in the very bottom slot of the oven. Preheat oven to 500ºF.
2. Sprinkle a medium (12-inch) cast-iron skillet with a light dusting of all-purpose flour and cornmeal.
3. With a bit of flour, work dough to stretch into a round. Add to prepared cast iron skillet, grease hands and finish pressing into place all the way to the outside (this takes a few minutes, but it’s worth the wait for a thin crust).
4. Cover dough with tomatoes and top with cheese. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and crust is crisp.
5. Remove from oven, decorate with basil and drizzle with olive oil.
6. Slide onto a cutting board, slice and serve hot.
Check out this collection of 40 comforting recipes you won’t believe are vegan.