Beef "Cappuccino" with Parsnip Foam
- serves 8
500 mL (2cups) peeled, diced parsnips
15 mL (1 tablespoon) butter
150 mL (2/3 cup) milk
150 mL (2/3 cup) 35% cream, whippedFor the Beef Broth
1 ½ kg (3 lb) beef soup bones
3 carrots, cut into thick rounds
3 stalks celery, cut into large pieces
2 clove garlic, peeled
1 onion, quartered
30 mL (2 tablespoons) olive oil
1 ½ L (6 cups) water
1. In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the parsnips until tender. Drain.
2. In a food processor, purée the parsnips and butter. Add the milk in a thin stream and process until smooth. Strain. Refrigerate until chilled, about 45 minutes.
3. In a bowl, gently combine the parsnip purée and the whipped cream. Refrigerate.For the Beef Broth
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the broiler.
2. On a baking sheet, combine all the ingredients except the water. Season with salt. Broil, turning every 10 to 15 minutes, until the bones are well browned, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes. Strain and degrease.For Assembly
1. Heat the parsnip foam in a microwave for about 2 minutes.
2. Pour very hot broth into cappuccino cups and top with parsnip foam. Season with pepper. Serve with a small spoon.