Beef Tenderloin with Mashed Potatoes and Asparagus Ragout and Lobster Mashed Potatoes
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
4 6 ounce beef filets, center cut
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cups wild mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons shallot, minced
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
1 bunch asparagus, peeled, cut on bias, 1” pieces, blanched
2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsleyLobster Mashed Potatoes
1 1 ¼ pound lobster tail
¾ cup whole milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch piecesBeef Reduction
1 ½ pounds beef shank pieces
2 large carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup red wine
4 cups water
4 cups low-salt beef broth
3 large fresh thyme sprigs
1. Heat the olive oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Season the beef filets with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sear the beef in the pan for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and let rest.
2. Add butter and mushrooms to the same skillet and sauté until mushrooms are browned, about 4 minutes. Then, add minced shallots, garlic, thyme, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of Beef Reduction to mushrooms and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the asparagus and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Divide Lobster Mashed Potatoes among 4 plates. Arrange beef filets on the top of the potatoes. Spoon mushroom asparagus ragout over the beef and serve.Lobster Mashed Potatoes
1. Cook lobster in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just opaque in center, about 7 minutes. Transfer lobster to work surface and cool slightly. Remove lobster meat from shell. Cut meat into 1” pieces.
2. Bring 1/3 cup milk to simmer in medium saucepan. Add lobster meat and set aside. Add potatoes to a large pot of cold, salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes; return to pan and mash. Add butter and remaining milk. Mix together well.
3. Add the lobster mixture to mashed potatoes. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.Beef Reduction
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Brush heavy large roasting pan with olive oil. Place shank pieces in prepared pan; scatter carrots and onion around shanks. Roast until meat is brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer beef and vegetables to heavy large saucepan. Place roasting pan over medium heat. Add red wine and stir 1 minute, scraping up browned bits, then add to beef and vegetables. Add 4 cups water, beef broth, and thyme sprigs. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until liquid is reduced to 2 cups, about 3 hours.
2. Strain broth. Chill uncovered until cool, then cover and keep chilled.