Beer Beef Stew
- prep time 30 min
- total time 120 min
- serves 4
½ cup vegetable oil
3 pounds chuck roast, cut into large chunks
Salt and pepper
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 small can tomato paste
2 bottles dark beer
2 cups beef stock
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot.
3. Add beef chunks, season with salt and pepper and brown them.
4. When they are very well browned, remove them with tongs and reserve in a bowl.
5. Add onions to the hot pot and sauté them until they are golden brown.
6. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for a few minutes.
7. Place browned beef back into the pot and add the beer and stock.
8. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
9. Place a tight fitting lid on the pot and put it in the oven.
10. Stew slowly until the beef is very tender and the broth has thickened, about 1 hour.