Brazo de Reina
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 0
1 can (300ml) sweetened condensed milk or 1 1/4 cups store-bought dulce de lecheCoconut cake
¾ cup all-purpose unbleached flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
4 eggs, separated
¼ tsp cream of tartar
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup oil
¼ cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup sweetened grated coconut, toasted
1. Place the unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 90 minutes, making sure that water covers the can at all times.
2. Remove the can and let stand until at room temperature. Open the can carefully, using a dishtowel to catch any splatters.Coconut cake
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a 30 x 43-cm (12 x 17-inch) baking sheet with parchment paper, letting the paper hang over 2 opposite sides. Butter the parchment and the unlined sides.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add 125 ml (1/2 cup) sugar while beating. Continue beating until firm peaks form. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, combine the remaining sugar, the oil, egg yolks and vanilla using a whisk. Add the dry ingredients, whisking gently until combined. Set aside.
5. Stir 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter. Using a spatula, gently fold in the remaining egg whites. Spread the batter evenly on the baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
6. Immediately after taking the cake out of the oven, sprinkle it with the toasted coconut. Cover with a sheet of parchment paper. Place an inverted cooling rack the same size as the baking sheet on top of cake. Flip the cake and rack over. Remove the baking sheet. Leave the cake on the rack until completely cool, about 20 minutes.
7. Remove the parchment paper from the top of the cake. Spread the dulce de leche on the cake. Place the cake with the narrow side facing you. Roll the cake like a jelly roll and place on a platter.
8. In a bowl, combine the mango cubes and the lime juice.
9. Serve cake with fresh mango cubes.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site