Chipotle Chili Bites
- prep time 30 min
- total time 150 min
- serves 12
2 tablespoons (25 ml) olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 sweet red pepper, diced
1 can (19 oz/540 ml) bean medley, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 oz/398 ml) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 oz/398 ml) baked beans in tomato sauce
1 can (14 oz/398 ml) refried beans
2 cans (each 28 oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes
1 ½ cups (375 ml) frozen corn or drained canned corn
5 bay leaves
2 tablespoons (25 ml) pureed canned chipotles in adobo saucePolenta
3 ½ cups (875 ml) vegetable stock
2 teaspoons (10 ml) salt
1 teaspoon (5 ml) minced garlic
½ teaspoon (2 ml) freshly ground black pepper
2 cups (500 ml) cornmeal
1 Vegetable oil for frying
1. In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and red pepper for 6 to 8 minutes or until soft.
2. Stir in bean medley, chick peas, baked beans, refried beans, diced tomatoes and juices, corn, bay leaves and chipotle puree. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; partially cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove and discard bay leaves. Place 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) of the chili in a food processor; pulse on and off until roughly chopped. Set aside remaining chili for later use. Cool pureed chili to room temperature. Divide cooled, pureed chili among cups of a 12-cup silicone muffin pan. Place in freezer. Freeze for 2 hour or until frozen solid.Polenta
1. Lightly oil two 12-cup muffin tins. In medium saucepan, bring 4 cups (1 L) water, stock, salt, garlic and pepper to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Gradually whisk in cornmeal.
2. Cook for about 5 minutes, whisking constantly, or until polenta is thickened and smooth. Place scant ¼ cup (50 ml) polenta in each of oiled muffin cups. Top with one frozen chili ball; press down until polenta squished up the sides about ¼ inch (5 mm) above top of muffin tin. Smooth polenta over chili balls to cover. Freeze for 30 to 60 minutes or until chili bites are firm.
3. In heavy bottomed, large saucepan, heat 1-inch (2.5 cm) oil to 350°F (180°C). In batches, fry frozen chili bites for 12 to 16 minutes, turning once, or until golden brown. Drain on paper-towel lined tray. Serve warm with fresh coriander to garnish.