Chocolate Tapioca Arancini
- prep time 25 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 6-8
Treat yourself, and indulge in Chuck Hughes's rich and creamy chocolate tapioca arancini dessert.
Chuck Hughes Chuck's Day Off
2 cup chocolate, chopped (500 ml)
1 cup cream (250 ml)Pearl Tapioca
2 cup cold water (500 ml)
½ cup small pearl tapioca (125 ml)
1 cup milk (250 ml)
1 cup 35% cream (250 ml)
1 cup sugar (250 ml)
Peel from 1 orange
1 vanilla bean, sliced, seeds scrapedBreading
2 cup Panko breadcrumbs (500 ml), reduced into a fine powder
1 cup flour (250 ml)
1. In a saucepan, heat the cream. Add the chocolate and stir until it’s melted and combined. Transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the chocolate. Keep in the refrigerator for 1 hour until it’s firm.Pearl Tapioca
1. Soak the tapioca in cold water for 30 minutes. Drain.
2. In a saucepan on medium heat, mix together the milk, cream, sugar, orange peel and vanilla bean. Add in the tapioca pearls and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 25 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, allow to cool and keep in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until it sets.
3. With your hands*, shape into a golf ball size and then flatten. Insert a spoonful of the chocolate into the center and reshape the ball. Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
4. Preheat oil of the fryer to 180 C (350 F).
5. Dredge each ball into flour. Then dip in the egg mixture, and then roll in the Panko breadcrumbs.
6. Drop in the hot oil. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain and transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
7. Cook’s note: When rolling and handling the tapioca, wet your hands with water to prevent the mixture from sticking.Breading