Chuck's Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
- prep time 45 min
- total time 245 min
- serves 8
1 spaghetti squash
1 heads garlic
¼ cup oilve oil (60 ml)
2 cup bread crumbs (500 ml)
1 cup milk (250 ml)
¼ cup roasted pine nuts (60 ml)
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped (15 ml)
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped (15 ml)
1 Tbsp flat parsley, chopped (15 ml)
6 Yukon Gold potatoes, boiled but not peeled
¼ cup melted butter (60 ml)
½ cup smooth goat cheese (125 ml)
1 cup 35% cream (250 ml)
3 cup mushrooms, sliced
6 cup wild mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 clove garlic, minced
1 cup dried Du Puys lentils, cooked (250 ml)
Fried shallots to garnish
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 300F (150C).
2. First, cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 ½ hours. As an alternative, place on a plate and cook in the microwave on high for about 20 minutes.
3. Put the garlic head on a baking tray. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon (5 ml) olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and put in the oven for 30 minutes or until the garlic is very tender.
4. In a bowl, mix the bread crumbs with the milk. Let stand for 5 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed. Mix in the pine nuts, the eggs and herbs. Put aside.
5. Mash the potatoes with the butter, goat cheese, cooked garlic puree and cream to make them nice and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Remove the spaghetti squash flesh with a fork and put it in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and put aside.
7. Preheat the oven to 450F (230C).
8. Heat the remaining oil in a large pan and saute the onions, carrots and celery over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms and continue cooking until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the cooked lentils and the bread mixture. Stir and put aside.
9. In an 8 x 11 inches (20 x 28 cm) baking dish, spoon the vegetable mixture onto the bottom. Layer with the spaghetti squash, then the potatoes and smooth them down. Cook in oven for 30 minutes or so until top is slightly browned. Garnish with fried shallots to taste.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site