Crispy Crab Cakes with Mustard Artichoke Aioli
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 15
2 Tbsp olive oil (30 ml)
½ cup red bell pepper, finely diced (125ml)
½ cup yellow pepper, finely diced (125ml)
½ cup red onion, finely diced (125ml)
1 cup 35% cream (250 ml)
1 Tbsp chives, finely chopped (15ml)
½ Tbsp dill, roughly chopped (7.5 ml)
1 tsp Creole spices (5 ml)
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup Panko bread crumbs (125 ml)
1 ¼ lb. crab meat, drained and picked over carefully (525 oz)
Salt and pepper to tasteCrab Cake Coating
½ cup Panko breadcrumbs (125 ml)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil (15 ml)
½ Tbsp butter (7.5 ml)Mustard Artichoke Aioli
1 cup canned artichokes, drained (250 ml)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard (15ml)
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup mayonnaise (125 ml)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add olive oil to a medium sized skillet and warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add peppers and onions and sauté until tender, approximately 3 minutes.
2. Remove peppers and onions from skillet and place in a large bowl. Allow to cool.
3. In a small sauce pan heat cream over low heat and reduce until 2/3 of a cup remains. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. Add the cooled cream to the bowl of sautéed onions and peppers. Add the chives, dill, Creole spices, egg, panko & crab meat to the bowl and mix gently until all ingredients are evenly combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Form the crab cakes into 1 inch rounds with a ¼ inch thickness. Set aside on a parchment lined tray.
6. Pour panko bread crumbs into a large shallow dish and place the formed cakes into the bread crumbs. Toss each cake carefully and ensure each cake is coated evenly with the panko. Place on the parchment lined tray.
7. Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.
8. Add oil and butter to the skillet. Once the butter is melted and the pan is hot, carefully add crab cakes to skillet. Be careful not to crowd the pan.
9. Cook each crab cake for approximately 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown and crispy.
10. Remove crab cake and set on a paper towel lined tray.
11. Serve hot with Mustard Artichoke Aioli (see recipe).Crab Cake Coating Mustard Artichoke Aioli
1. Put drained artichokes in a blender and puree until artichokes reach a smooth consistency.
2. Add the Dijon, lemon juice and mayonnaise and puree again until all ingredients are evenly combined.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Serve chilled with crab cakes.