Crispy Glazed Pork Belly with Sauteed Mushrooms and Aromatic Lentils
- prep time 10 min
- total time 95 min
- serves 4
1 cup brown sugar
1 ½ cups cider vinegar
4 cups water
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon black peppercorns, whole
1 tablespoon salt
1 ½ pounds pork belly, cut into 1 inch cubesSauteed Mushrooms
1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ½ tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, smashed
3 tablespoons thyme, leaves picked and roughly chopped
1 pound crimini mushrooms, quartered
⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
salt and pepperAromatic Lentils
1 ½ cups dried green lentils, rinsed and drained
3 cups water
2 shallots, smashed
3 cloves garlic, smashed
5 sprigs of thyme
3 bay leaves
2 ripe tomatoes, diced
¼ bunch chives, thinly sliced
salt and pepperAssembly
1. To make pickling liquid, place all ingredients, except for pork belly in a pot, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
2. Place pork belly into a pot of cold salted water and bring to a boil, skim top of water to remove impurities, then reduce to a simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
3. Strain pork from water and rinse.
4. Place pork belly pieces into pickling liquid and simmer for approximately 30 – 45 minutes, until tender.
5. Preheat oven to 400F.
6. Remove pork belly from pickling liquid and pat dry.
7. In a large cast iron pan over medium heat, sear pork belly, season with salt and pepper then place in oven. Continue to check on pork belly constantly turning pieces over to ensure all sides are crispy, remove from oven.
8. Strain 2 cups of pickling liquid in a small pan and reduce by 2/3 until liquid achieves a thick syrup consistency.
9. Place reduced pickling liquid, now a Glaze, in a bowl and coat Crispy Pork Belly.Sauteed Mushrooms
1. Place oil and butter in a sauté pan over medium to high heat. Once butter has melted, add crimini mushrooms, garlic and thyme, sauté until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes.
2. Add balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper, toss and remove from heat.Aromatic Lentils
1. Place all ingredients, expect tomatoes and chives, in a pot, bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer, cook until tender.
2. Remove bay leaves, garlic and shallots, set aside. Strain lentils and place in a large bowl.
3. Puree garlic and shallots, add back to the lentils and season with salt and pepper.
4. Add Sauteed Mushrooms and diced tomatoes to lentils. Toss and garnish with chives.Assembly
1. Spoon Aromatic Lentils and Sautéed Mushrooms in centre of serving plate. Scatter Crispy Glazed Pork Belly around Aromatic Lentils and serve immediately.