Curried Chicken Pot Pie
- prep time 0 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 4
2 large organic chicken breasts
2 onions, diced
3 carrots, diced
4 cups organic chicken stock
1 tablespoon hot curry
1 teaspoon tumeric
½ cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon hot mango chutney
1 large lemon, juiced
handful of raisins (1/4 cup)
handful of almond slivers, toasted (1/4 cup)
handful of minced coriander (1/4 cup)
8 ounces store bought pie dough
Flour to coat
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
2. In a pot, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
3. Lightly toss the chicken cubes in flour and then add them to the pot along with the onions and carrots.
4. Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes or until the chicken is golden on all sides.
5. Deglaze the pot with organic chicken stock. Add hot curry, tumeric, brown sugar, lemon juice, raisins, coconut milk and mango chutney. Stir, and bring to a simmer. Then turn heat to medium-low and reduce for 20 minutes.
6. Stir in toasted almond slivers and sprinkle with minced coriander. Ladle into 4 2-cup (500 ml) ramekins.
7. Roll out the pie crust and dust it with flour. Cut the pastry into circles, about an inch wider than the ramekins. Cover the ramekins with crust and pinch the edges. With a fork, poke some holes in the center of the pie crust.
8. To add a personal touch, use cookie cutters to form shapes with the remaining pie dough and use these to decorate the pie crust.
9. Brush the top of the pie with egg white and bake for 30 minutes.